The 27M solar catamaran Ocean Eco 90 will be ready by the last quarter of 2021 and will have virtually unlimited range. Engineers and technicians at Alva Yachts are completing the molds for hull and superstructure.
•Alva Yachts is a young shipyard whose mission is to design and market clean boats, motor and sail.
• Ocean Eco 90 is a 27M catamaran, available with hybrid or full electric propulsion
• Molds of the hull are under construction, and the yacht will be ready by the end of 2021
• With the optional hydrogen generator, the full-electric Ocean Eco 90 will be the first solar catamaran in her range without the additional aid of fossil fuels.
Alva Yachts, the German builder of electric catamarans and sail boats, is pleased to announce the introduction of Ocean Eco 90 by HENNDESIGN, a 27M multi-hull yacht with electric propulsion and transatlantic range. The model fits perfectly the brand's philosophy, which implies putting sustainability at the heart of their yachts, both motor and sail. Alva Yachts builds differently to other electric boat brands because models are designed specifically around electric propulsion, not retrofitted.
The project of Ocean Eco 90 is completed and the technical specifications are defined, so construction has begun with the molds for the hull and the superstructure, while the yacht will touch the water by the last quarter of next year.
Ocean Eco 90 is a 27.50-meter-long catamaran, with an impressive beam of 14 meters, with a hull made for the range of speed of green cruising, which is not about the thrill of speed but rather about enjoying the voyage. She will available with hybrid or fully electric powertrain. The design is by Milan and Holger Henn of the German Studio HENNDESIGN and the Hamburg based naval-engineering studio iYACHTS.
The superstructure is covered with over 200 square meters of solar panels, giving her a transatlantic range and, under right circumstances, a virtually unlimited autonomy, as the panels take the energy from the sun and store it in the battery packs that power the electric engines.
The hybrid version has two 250 kW electric drives and two 456 kW diesel engines, which also replace the conventional diesel generator.
In the full-electric variant, Ocean Eco 90 is pushed by two 500 kW electric drives, connected to a 360 kWh battery pack, which is powered by sun and generators. The solar panels reach 40 kWp (Kilowatt peak), much more than the best competitors, while the diesel generators produce 2x 100 kW/ DC each.
Would that not be enough, an even cleaner option is available: the diesel generators can be replaced by two hydrogen-fuel cell once, making Alva Yachts Ocean Eco 90 the first solar catamaran in this range without the additional aid of fossil fuels.
In both cases, the range in only electric mode (generators off, power coming from the batteries) can reach 100 nautical miles, a huge distance for exploring the most recessed and wild parts of the earth, even restricted marine reserves. All of this, in total silence, enjoying the sound of the nature and without disturbing the sea fauna.
Ocean Eco 90 by HENNDESIGN has been shortlisted for “Concept Under 40 Meters Award” in The International Yacht & Aviation Awards 2020.
The process of construction is well underway, and the first unit will be launched by the last quarter of 2021. Manufacturing is pan European, with the interior-finishing in Germany.
Meanwhile, the renderings of the exterior and some of the interiors are available, while the 1:30 scale model of a finished Ocean Eco 90 will be visible at the next boat shows.
Alva Yachts Ocean Eco 90 Technical Data (preliminary)
• Length Overall: 27.50 m / 90 ft 2 in
• Length of waterline: 27.00 m / 88 ft 7 in
• Beam: 14.00 m / 45 ft 11 in
• Draft: 1.2 m
• Displacement (LD) 90,000kg
• Engine Full Electric Version OCEAN ECO 90f -EL: 2x500 kW gearless electric drive & 2x100 kVA DC- Generator
• Hydrogen Fuel cell with Hydrogen storage tanks as an option
• Engine Hybrid Diesel-Electric Version OCEAN ECO 90f-HY: 2x 250 kW gearless electric drive & 2x 456 KW diesel engine, gearbox, clutch, common shaft - with 5 different drivemodes
• Cruising Speed: 8-10 kn
• Top Speed: 16-18 kn depends on configuration
• Solar Input: 40 kWp with “Solar Roof”glass tiles
• Battery capacity: 240 kWh – 360 kWh
• Fuel: 1.500 Lt / 396 US gal.- 5.000 Lt / 1.320 US gal.
• Fresh Water : 1.500 Lt / 396 US gal.- 3.000 Lt / 793 US gal.
• Water Maker: 280 Lt/h – 74 US gal./h
• Hot Water: 200 Lt / 53 US gal.
• Grey water: 2x 400 Lt / 2x53 US gal.
• Black Water: 2x 400 Lt / 2x53 US gal.
• Wastewater Treatment System available
• Shore power: 32 Amp
• Air-Conditioning: 35 kW / 120.000 BTU frequency driven compressor chilled/ warm water, reversed cycle system, super-silent fan coils
• Classification: DNV-GL or RINA / private yacht
About Alva Yachts
Alva Yachts was founded in Germany in early 2020 by Mathias May and Holger Henn. It was built on the former PICA yachts, which launched more than 40 boats. May brings with him many years’ experience in boatbuilding, and is managing director of the new company, based in Bad Pyrmont, Germany. Henn, on the other hand, is a celebrated yacht designer with numerous award-winning designs from 26ft to 82ft under his belt. He has taken on the role of CEO of Alva Yachts.
Press Office / Studio Effeerre
© Copyright 2011-2020 - Nautica Report - Reg. Tribunale di Roma n.314 - 27-12-2013 - Editore Carlo Alessandrelli - Conc. Pubb. Wave Promotion srls - P.Iva: 12411241008